This rusty crane sits next to the Alameda Ferry Terminal. First, the land was used by the Southern Pacific Company’s West Alameda Rail Yard to repair steam engines and electric street cars. Then, it was turned over to the United Engineering Company Shipyard in 1941 and used to build and repair ships. The shipyard built the crane in 1941. Between 1941 and 1945, the shipyard built more than 20 Navy tugs and repaired hundreds of other ships.
The crane is likely to be taken apart for scrap sometime soon.